Gladiolus - luxurious flowers. Gardeners love them for species diversity and magnificence. After all, they are able to please with their flowering for quite a long time, especially if you correctly select the varieties of early and late flowering.
Cultivate gladioli for cutting and for designing design projects on plots. At the end of the season, gardeners are faced with an important question: how to prepare gladioli for winter? From the implementation of this task depends on the preservation and reproduction of your favorite colors. Annual digging, winter storage and spring planting are mandatory activities for the main list of gladiolus varieties. Modern breeders always delight summer residents with their new products. Frost-resistant varieties of gladioli - a real gift to gardeners. However, in the northern regions they are also not able to withstand long-term low temperatures. Therefore, they are also dug up after flowering and planted in winter. For the sake of justice, it should be noted that there are very few such hardy varieties: Gladiolus imbricatus (Gladiolus imbricatus) and Byzantine (Gladiolus Byzantinus). And all the others require special attention in the winter.
To gladioli could well winter, you have to perform certain activities. On how well organized storage of gladiolus bulbs, depends on their further development and flowering. Indeed, the bulbs cannot be left in the soil, they will die when the temperature drops below zero. How to carry out the process of preparation and storage of gladiolus bulbs?
Preparing for winter storage
To make your gladioli happy next year with lush flowering and health, listen to the advice of experienced flower growers.
Preparation of gladioli for winter begins during flowering. During this period, it is important to monitor the timely cutting of flower stalks. They need to be cut before seed formation. This factor is a guarantee of good development of the main bulbs of gladiolus and children. In time to cut flower stalks, you will get a double benefit:
- Keep decorative flower beds. Faded flowers will not spoil her look.
- Give the opportunity to gladiolus bulbs to accumulate strength for wintering.
At the time of cutting flower stalks on the bouquet, leave the leaves. After the flowering process is over, the formation of the bulb continues for another 50 days. At this time, the leaves play an important role. Digging up gladioli begin without waiting for the leaves to turn yellow. Indeed, in the first place - meeting deadlines. Perederzhivat bulbs in the ground, then give the possibility of the development of fungal infections.
Depending on the region, begin digging in September - early October. The term varies from the end of flowering and the onset of cold weather. For the middle band, the optimal time is September. In the more southern regions, October is best suited. Start digging gladioli from early varieties, then move on to the middle and late ones. The most recent bulbs of young gladioli grown from children are extracted from the earth.Important! Focus on weather conditions. As soon as the zero temperature lasts for several days in a row, proceed to digging gladiolus bulbs for storage.
The procedure is carried out on a sunny dry day. Before digging bulbs, determine the place of their storage. Suitable cardboard boxes, cloth bags, small wooden boxes. For different varieties of gladiolus prepare separate containers in order not to be confused during storage. Be sure to sign the boxes.
Dig the bullet gently. Best use a pitchfork or shovel. Try not to damage the planting material. Dig a shovel or pitchfork into the ground away from the gladiolus, stepping back from the ground part by 10 cm.
After undermining, pull up the plant by the leaves, remove it from the ground and lightly shake.
Immediately reject damaged or damaged gladiolus bulbs. Inspect the clumps of earth. If you find little kids, be sure to save them. Cut the remaining stems at a height of 2 cm to 5 cm.
Do not try to leave all the bulbs for wintering. Choose the healthiest and in the quantity that will be needed for landing next year. Selection criteria for planting material:
- No damage and diseases.
- Age. Keep bulbs no older than 4 years old.
- The form. Choose rounded with equal heights and diameters (ideally). Flat with a large Donets send in the rejected, better leave grown from children.
- Babies select the largest ones with intact covering scales.
Do each action qualitatively and do not rush so that damaged or diseased gladiolus bulbs are not stored.
Primary processing of bulbs before being sent to storage
After selection, begin the initial processing.
Primary treatment of tubers includes washing and drying of planting material:
- Rinsing with the addition of potassium permanganate in the water allows the bulbs to be cleaned of contamination and protect against diseases. Scales do not remove and keep them in the solution for at least half an hour (preferably an hour) or treat with a disinfectant composition. At this point, carefully inspect the quality of the children. Defective swim in the solution, and healthy fall to the bottom.
- Drying must be done qualitatively. If the bulbs dry out badly, they will rot and you will lose valuable material. At room temperature, this operation takes about two months. It is recommended to keep the bulbs for the first week at t ° from + 28 ° С, then reduce to 18 ° С for a month.
The next preparatory step is to clean the plant bulbs from plant residues.Important! Children in this stage do not participate, the covering scales on them are left in full integrity.
Winter storage technology
After processing and cleaning, planting material is sent to storage until the next season. Styling options are several:
- In cardboard boxes. Bulbs spread out in a single layer so that they do not touch. In the box, pre-make a few holes for easy ventilation. Ready-made drawers are a great alternative to boxes. Experienced growers are advised to wrap bulbs in newsprint.
- In vegetable nets. Useful conventional nets for fruits and vegetables from the store network. Summer residents pre-stock nets during the summer season, and then place them in gladiolus bulbs.
- In paper bags. This option is chosen for storing babies. Because of their small size, they can fall out of the boxes or the grid. The bags are periodically ventilated so that the kids get access to air.
There are some nuances when choosing storage tanks. They should be able to air. Plastic bags or plastic containers without holes for this purpose are not suitable. Gladiolus bulbs in them will quickly begin to rot.Tip! To prevent spoilage of seed, put a few cloves of garlic in the box, pre-cutting them into pieces.
Zola woody can perfectly replace garlic, you just sprinkle onions with it.
Temperature during winter storage is maintained within the range of + 3 ° C to + 8 ° C. Air humidity - 80%. In order to ensure the desired performance, the boxes are placed in the basement or refrigerator (on the bottom shelf in the door). Monthly make the bulkhead. The bulbs are carefully inspected and dried as needed.
As soon as the lukovichek ends a period of rest, it is necessary to change the conditions of storage. It occurs in the middle of winter. If you miss the moment, the gladioli will begin to germinate.
The boxes are transferred to another place where they can provide diffused sunlight. Direct sunlight at that time is destructive for bulbs.
A few tips for gladiolus lovers
- Keep different varieties separately and be sure to sign each box. This will give the opportunity when planting not to confuse the types of gladioli.
- Try to keep the bulbs in a ventilated room for winter storage. If this is not possible - air the planting material regularly.
- If moisture appears on the bulbs, dry them; if they are dry, soak them before planting.
- If you find pests, be sure to treat them with Inta-Vir or some other means, then dry and put them back in storage.
From the above, it should be concluded that it is necessary to inspect the bulbs during the winter period regularly and carefully. In this case, you save the planting material of gladioli until spring with minimal losses. Requirements for the conditions of winter storage of gladioli are not at all difficult for experienced gardeners. And for beginners, you must carefully follow all recommendations, and your favorite varieties will delight with their flowering every year.