Sorrel is increasingly found in vegetable gardens as a cultivated plant. Useful properties and taste with characteristic sourness provide a lot of fans to the plant. Like other crops, sorrel is susceptible to diseases, various pests that must be combated in order to reap a rich harvest. Often in the sorrel bugs eats huge holes, so gardeners try all effective means to combat the green pest.
Why sorrel in the holes
When holes appear on the sorrel, experienced gardeners immediately diagnose the oxalite leaf beetle. This is a fast and dangerous pest. If the plant is not treated on time, the crop may die completely. Adult individuals eat away through holes, and the larvae hatching from eggs feed on the flesh between the veins.
Externally, the pest looks like a bug 3-4 mm long. Color - emerald with blue, metallic sheen. Females have a large abdomen, they move much slower than males. The wings are fully developed. Pests begin to feed immediately after hibernation, as soon as the first leaves appear. By the end of spring, green beetles mate, lay eggs. After laying eggs a week goes by, the first larvae of the pest appear. Then the pupation process takes place, which takes place in the soil. From there comes an adult individual - a new pest.
They mate with females again, and die within a short time. Females have time to lay eggs again, which can be found on the underside of the leaf.
Experts say that when finding young bugs to save the harvest of sorrel is almost impossible, because the number of pests is too large.
What to do if sorrel leaves in the hole
First of all, when holes are found on the leaves, it is necessary to remove all weeds. Sorrel leaf beetle can breed well on them. Be sure to feed after irrigation of the cultivated plant slurry.
Some gardeners in the spring cover planting sorrel. So you can not only get rid of the leaf beetle, but also please the household with early greenery.
If a pest is found, especially if there is a lot of it, the most damaged specimens should be removed.
Some gardeners prefer manual harvesting as a method of struggle. To do this, you need a concentrated saline solution, where hands are collected from sorrel bugs and eggs. In any case, treatment with chemical insecticides is not recommended, as sorrel will become unsuitable for food.
How to get rid of bugs on sorrel
There are many methods of struggle. In terms of efficiency, they are not inferior to each other, but each gardener, depending on the degree of damage of sorrel, chooses the most appropriate:
- Process drug called "Maxim". This is a chemical insecticide, so all the leaves should be cut without fail. Eating such greens is prohibited. But the harvest will be saved, because in sorrel new leaves grow quickly. It will be already healthy, high-grade greens.
- Mix 200 g of pyrethrum powder with a bucket of hot water. Insist 12 hours and rub the soap. Then spray all affected plants with the resulting solution.
- Dust (without water) leaves of sorrel with a mixture of wood ash and tobacco dust in a 1: 1 ratio. The procedure is repeated, it is better to do the course for 5-6 days. Then the result will be higher and secured for a long time.
- You can also pollinate the plant with a mixture of a glass of ash and a large spoonful of dry mustard with hot black pepper.
- For 3 liters of water, rub a piece of soap and squeeze garlic as much as possible. After a few hours, filter the resulting solution and sprinkle with sorrel. If you feel sorry for garlic - suitable garlic tops or arrows of the plant.
The problem with the fight is that when using chemicals, you should not eat sprinkled sorrel for at least a month. But while the gardener is waiting for a whole month, oxalic acid accumulates in the leaves, and by the end of this period, sorrel is no longer useful, but harmful to health. Young leaves bring the greatest benefit, and therefore even after processing the sorrel damaged by the beetle is better to cut and wait for the new crop to appear. By the autumn leaves will grow, which is suitable for winter harvesting. Therefore, to avoid holes in sorrel, it is better to use preventive measures against the green beetle.
The main preventive measures against the appearance in the sorrel holes on the leaves are:
- deep digging of the vegetable garden in autumn for the destruction of hibernating insects and larvae;
- removal of suspicious leaves with holes at the first appearance;
- a thorough examination of the plant to identify the pest at an early stage;
- spring is also worth plowing the aisle;
- every 2-3 years, change the landing site, and treat the former with chemicals or simply powder it with ashes;
- when changing the landing site, it is important that cultures of the buckwheat family, for example, rhubarb, were not planted there before, otherwise there is a danger of catching the same pest in a new place.
Experienced gardeners advise around the sorrel to plant plants that successfully deter pest. For leaf beetles such plants are marigold, calendula, feverfew, garlic, nasturtium.
As well as experts noted that planting sorrel in partial shade is the best option. So the leaves are more tender and pleasant to the taste, and there are less pests on the culture.
If only the first small holes appear on a piece of paper, it is better to immediately pluck, rinse and eat. This is a useful product, and it would be better not to scour it with chemicals. Therefore, experts advise to regularly inspect the leaves, in order to identify the first symptoms. Large-scale destruction using chemicals should be started if there are eggs and a large number of damaged leaves.
On the sorrel, bugs of pleasant color, which children call fireflies, can immediately and not attract attention. But in reality it is a dangerous pest that can destroy the entire crop of a useful product in a season. Therefore, it is worth taking preventive measures, since it is difficult to fight with leaf beetles: you can not spray chemicals, and the rest of the means are effective while the pest has not let go. Inspection of the leaves should be carried out regularly and at the first appearance of small holes, the product should be torn, washed and eaten, and the plant should be sprayed with one of the folk remedies.