Not everyone knows the wonderful feijoa berry: the fruit looks like a green walnut, which is about the same size. However, the taste of feijoa is quite fruity: at the same time the flesh is similar to pineapple, strawberries and kiwi - a very original and incredibly fragrant combination. Feijoa fruits are used in medicine, because they have a strong anti-inflammatory effect, contain a lot of vitamins and minerals, and also, a lot of iodine and organic acids in the berry.
It is not surprising that housewives seek to provide their family with a healthy and tasty fruit for the whole year, therefore they can preserve feijoa in the form of fragrant preserves.
What tricks you need to know to cook feijoa jam for the winter, and what recipe is better to choose - this will be an article.
How to cook the most simple feijoa jam
To preserve feijoa in the form of jam, you should choose fruits of different sizes, but of the same density. Berry should be ripe: soft, but quite elastic.
For making feijoa jam using the simplest recipe, you need only two ingredients:
- ripe berries - 1 kg;
- granulated sugar - 1 kg.
Making jam will not be difficult, because the process consists of only a few steps:
- Berries are sorted and washed. Remove from feijoa inflorescences.
- Now you need to chop the feijoa using a meat grinder or blender.
- Take an enameled pan, at the bottom of which pour half a glass of water (the amount of water increases in proportion to the amount of sugar). Now sugar is poured into the container and the syrup is boiled over a very low heat.
- When the sugar syrup is ready, crushed fruits are gradually spread into it. Mass constantly stirring.
- When the jam boils, it must be boiled for another 5-7 minutes and turn off the stove.
- The finished jam is laid out on pre-sterilized jars and rolled with metal lids.
Attention! In the process of cooking jam will form foam. It must be removed with a spoon or skimmer.
Feijoa Caramel Jam
For the preparation of this jam, you should choose small fruits feijoa, but they must be slightly soft.
Of the ingredients you will need:
- feijoa berries - 500 grams;
- 1 cup sugar;
- 500 ml of water;
- spoon brandy.
This jam of South American berry is made quite simply:
- Berries are washed and sorted. Inflorescences should be cut off and the peel cleaned, but not discarded.
- While feijoa is not dark, it is poured cold water.
- On the fire you need to put the pan, when it warms up, pour half the sugar there. Sugar is carefully spread on the bottom of the griddle and waited for it to caramelize. During this process, the pan should be shaken regularly to mix the sugar layers.
- When the caramel gets a light reddish hue, the pan is removed from the heat and left for 30 seconds.
- Now, very carefully pour water into the caramel and spread the feijoa skins that have been cleaned before, and the mass is intensively stirred.
- Include a slow fire and boil the caramel with the skins for about seven minutes, with constant stirring.
- The resulting mixture is reclined in a colander, pouring the syrup into the pan for jam. Feijoa berries and the second part of sugar are also sent there.
- After boiling the jam should boil for another 35-40 minutes. After that, add brandy, mix, and ready-made jam can be laid out on the banks and cork.
Important! Before adding brandy, it is recommended to taste the jam. If you do not have enough sweetness or sourness, you can add lemon juice or sugar.
How to cook raw feijoa jam
This recipe for jam from feijoa berries for the winter can be called the easiest, because to make jam, you don’t even have to use a stove. In addition, a big plus raw jam is that in feijoa, not subjected to heat treatment, will save much more valuable vitamins.Tip! To make the jam more tasty, it is recommended to add walnuts to it.
So, feijoa jam is prepared for the winter from such products:
- 1 kg of berries;
- 1 kg of granulated sugar;
- 0.2 kg of peeled walnut kernels.
The method of making jam is as follows:
- Berries need to be washed and pour them with boiling water.
- After that, feijoa are dried with paper towels and crushed with a blender or grinder.
- Now you have to mix feijoa with sugar and add chopped walnuts to jam. All is well mixed and laid out on sterile jars.
- It is better to close jars of jam with nylon caps and store the finished product in the refrigerator.
Attention! It is better to use small jars so that the jam can be eaten several times. So the product does not have time to spoil.
Feijoa jam with lemon and pectin
Cooking such a jam will be a little more difficult than the previous one, but a step-by-step recipe will help the hostess to do everything correctly.
So, for jam, you need to take:
- feijoa fruits - 2 kg;
- water - 1 cup;
- sugar - 8 glasses;
- lemon juice - 7 spoons;
- powdered pectin - 2 sachets.
This jam is brewed like this:
- Feijoa washed and cut off the ends of the fruit. If the berries are large, you can cut them into 3-4 pieces, and small feijoa split in half.
- Now the fruit should be folded into a saucepan and add water. Feijoa cooked on low heat for about half an hour, until the skin is softened. During the cooking process you need to periodically mix the mass.
- Pectin powder should be mixed with sugar, and lemon juice should be poured in there - mix everything until homogeneous.
- The resulting sugar mass is added to the steaming feijoa fruit and continue to cook until all the sugar has dissolved.
- After boiling, the jam should boil for about half an hour. After that, the fire is turned off, the feijoa jam is laid out on the cans and rolled with metal lids.
It is better to store ready-made jam in a dry and dark place, the storeroom is perfect for this purpose.
Feijoa and oranges winter jam
Oranges will help to make jam even more fragrant and useful. To prepare you need to take:
- 1 kg of berries;
- 1 kg of oranges;
- 500 grams of sugar.
The technology for making jam is as follows:
- Feijoa washed, cut off flower stalks from fruits, each berry is cut in half.
- Now the fruit must be chopped with a blender.
- Take oranges and divide each of them in half. One half is cleaned and cut into small cubes. The second part is cut into pieces together with the peel - this half must be ground with a blender.
- All fruits are joined together and covered with sugar.
It remains to mix the jam and arrange it in clean cans. This jam does not need to be cooked, but should be stored on the shelf of the refrigerator under the nylon cover. Such a recipe with a photo will be mastered even by a novice hostess.
Attention! This jam from feijoa berries will become a valuable source of vitamins in the winter, will greatly strengthen the immune system and improve the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract.
Feijoa and pear jam
Fans of savory flavors and delicate aromas will surely enjoy this jam, which combines a strange berry and an ordinary pear.
To prepare you should take:
- 1 kg of feijoa;
- 2 large pears;
- 100 ml of white semi-sweet or semi-dry wine.
Cooking delicious jam should be as follows:
- Berries need to sort, wash and peel them.
- Peeled fruits are piled into a large pot.
- Pears are also peeled and cut into small cubes. Send crushed fruit in a saucepan for jam.
- Now wine is poured into the container, stirred and the mass is brought to a boil over low heat.
- After boiling the jam, the fire is turned off, sugar is poured out, stirred until it is completely dissolved.
- Now you can turn on the stove again and, with constant stirring, make jam for another 15-20 minutes.
- The finished jam is laid out in sterile jars and rolled.
Store spicy jam with pears and wine better in the basement.
How to Make Lemon Jam
Berry is tasty both in a fresh form, and in the form of jam, syrups or jelly. Jam is even more fragrant if you add lemon to it.Tip! Pieces of feijoa jam can be used as a filling for pies and other pastries.
For this interesting jam you will need:
- 0.5 kg of feijoa;
- 0.5 kg of granulated sugar;
- 1 large lemon;
- 100 ml of water.
Making jam is very simple:
- First, wash the berries and cut off their tips.
- Now feijoa cut into slices (6-8 parts).
- From the lemon you need to remove the peel and cut it into large pieces of about 0.5 cm.
- Juice from lemon must be squeezed out in any way.
- Water is poured into a container for jam and bring it to a boil. After that, pour out the sugar, zest and lemon juice. Constantly stirring, you need to boil the syrup for about five minutes.
- Turn off the fire and pour the crushed feijoa berries into the syrup. Mix the jam well and allow it to cool.
- When the jam has cooled, it is again brought to a boil and cook for 5-7 minutes.
It remains to expand the finished product in banks and roll up the covers.
Tip! This jam has a beautiful shade, thanks to the lemon. Feijoa contains a large amount of iodine, so it quickly darkens, and the acid does not allow the product to change color. Because of the lemon jam it turns out a noble emerald hue.
Anti-cold jam with lemon and ginger
Vitamin and anti-inflammatory properties of the South American fetus is difficult to overestimate. To further enhance the healing effect of feijoa, no less valuable lemon and ginger are added to the jam - a real health cocktail is obtained.
Prepare a useful jam from these proportions:
- 0.5 kg of peeled berries;
- 2 lemons;
- 7 cm ginger root;
- 0.4 kg of granulated sugar.
Cooking vitamin jam is simple:
- The fruits are washed and cut off their tips.
- Crush with a feijo blender or with a meat grinder, first putting the smallest mesh on it.
- The resulting mixture is poured into a pot with thick walls.
- Juice is squeezed out of a lemon - only it is needed for jam.
- Ginger is finely ground by rubbing the grated root.
- All the ingredients are combined in one pot and set on fire.
- On medium heat, you need to bring the jam to a boil and boil it for another 5-7 minutes.
- Put the jam on sterilized jars and roll.
The first day banks with jam should be inverted and wrapped in a warm blanket. The next day, the jam is lowered into the basement.It is important! After solidification, such a jam acquires the consistency of jelly, therefore it is excellent for various tartlets or sandwiches.
All recipes are illustrated with pictures, so the hostess can see what should happen at the end of the process of making feijoa jam. Regardless of the recipe chosen, the jam will turn out very tasty and fragrant. Do not forget about some exotic fruit - jam may not please everyone, so it is better for the first time to prepare a small portion of jam.