Carrots included in the list of crops required for cultivation in garden plots. This vegetable requires minimal seed and soil preparation. To ensure good germination of seeds, you need to choose the right place and time for planting. When sowing carrots, depends on the climate and weather conditions.
The time chosen for planting affects harvesting. Sowing is done in spring or summer. Allowed to carry out planting work in the fall when the frost.
Choosing a landing site
Carrots prefer sunny places where there is no darkness. With a lack of lighting, the growth of the culture slows down and its taste qualities deteriorate. The bed should be lit by the sun all day.
plant carrots on toilet paper "> You can plant carrots on the site where legumes, greens, cabbage, tomatoes or cucumbers previously grew. Every year the place of planting of this vegetable changes. Next to the carrot you can plant onions to protect the plants from pests.
Before choosing a time when planting carrots in open ground, you need to prepare the ground. Carrots prefer fertile soil rich in nutrients. This crop is grown everywhere, but if improperly prepared, the crop will be poor.
Excess fertilizer leads to a change in the shape of carrots and degrades its taste. Manure and compost are not recommended for gardening. When planting matters the mechanical composition of the soil, which you must first dig up and loosen. Peat or sawdust is added to the soil.Attention! Preparation of the soil for carrots should begin in the fall.
In the autumn period, the earth digs up, stones, weeds and other solid particles are removed from it. Fertilizer based on phosphate or potassium is allowed. If the soil is peaty, then sand is added. Improve the properties of clay soil will help humus and peat. Chernozem does not require special preparation, it is enough to add sand just before planting.
Carrot seeds can be stored for several years and give good shoots. To ensure quick germination, seeds are pre-processed. The following methods are considered the most effective:
- The use of special stimulants. The procedure is indicated in the instructions for the drug. The process takes up to 20 hours and ensures high germination of seeds.
- Seed placement in the soil. It has long been known method in which the seeds are wrapped in cloth, and then buried in the ground to a small depth. After 10 days, the fabric was taken out, and the sprouts were planted on the garden bed.
- Soaking seed material. This will require a cotton wool or a piece of cloth where the seeds are placed. After a day, begin landing work.
- Treatment with boiling water. Seeds are placed in a cloth and immersed in hot water for 20 minutes. Then the contents need to cool with cold water.
How to plant carrots in open ground, describe the following methods:
- in bulk when seed is scattered around the bed;
- in rows with a distance of up to 10 cm;
- furrows on narrow beds.
The first way you can plant carrots in the spring and summer. As a result, the shoots will be uneven, and there will be difficulties with their weeding. If you use this method for early planting, then you need to take measures to control weeds. Otherwise, the weed will not allow carrots to grow normally.
When planting in rows in the autumn, the seeds are often washed out of the ground by meltwater. This method will not work if the region has a rainy spring or summer. Sowing furrows is used regardless of the time of year.
If you need to get a harvest of carrots as soon as possible, then the planting begins in early spring. This is a moisture-loving plant, so you can start work immediately after the snow melts.
When planting carrots, depends on the temperature of the soil and air. The plant is resistant to frost and low temperatures. It is possible to start planting after warming up the soil to + 5 ° С. The air temperature should reach + 15 ° С. The third decade of April is suitable for this.
If they are planted earlier, they will need more time to germinate. For the formation of the root crop air temperature is required up to + 20 ° C.Attention! Carrots prefer loamy soil and peatlands.
It is enough to loosen the prepared beds. If the soil was not dug over in the fall, it is done in the spring.
Plant carrots in the spring need to comply with the sequence of steps:
- At a depth of 5 cm furrows are made. Between the rows leave 15-20 cm.
- The resulting grooves sprinkled with peat, humus or sand, and then watered.
- Carrots are sown along the furrow, covered with earth and slightly tamped.
- Sand or peat is poured on top.
To speed up seed germination, the bed is closed with a film. After the appearance of the first shoots, covering material is removed.
If you have not yet decided when to plant carrots in 2018, you can postpone the procedure until the summer. Sowing at a later date will allow harvest in August-September. The period from the beginning of May is suitable for this. Work is allowed until the end of July.
Late planting carrots has the following advantages:
- opportunity to land after the main work in the spring;
- by the fall of the culture preserves the taste, does not overgrow, does not crack;
- planting is made in warm earth, which ensures good germination;
- frost cover is not required;
- increases the storage time of the crop.
Late landing includes the following steps:
- The soil is dug up, weeds are eliminated.
- The bed is divided into furrows up to 5 cm deep.
- Peat, humus or other fertilizer is poured at the bottom of the recesses.
- Sow carrots in furrows.
- The landing site is covered with earth and peat.
Landing in the winter
When to sow carrots to get an early harvest? In this case, landing is carried out in the winter. For this site preparation begins in September. Pre-selected place, protected from the winds. To avoid flooding the beds with melt water, it should be located on a hill.
The procedure for planting carrots in the fall is as follows:
- The surface of the beds is cleared of weeds and plant residues.
- Soil is dug up, organic and complex fertilizers are brought in it.
- After the first frosts, the soil is leveled and indentations are made in it by 5 cm.
- Peat or sand is placed at the bottom of the hole.
- At an air temperature of 5 ° C, we sow carrots.
- On landing put a layer of humus or peat.
- When the bed is covered with snow, it is covered with lap trees. After the thaw, snow cover will remain under it.
Attention! Winter vegetables are not stored for a long time, so you need to quickly find use for them.
Carrots planted in winter sprout a couple of weeks earlier than those sown in early spring. Its seeds are hardened in winter conditions, so the shoots are resistant to frost. In the spring due to the abundant exposure to moisture strengthens the root system of carrots.
To grow a good crop, you need to provide the necessary care for the plants. This includes watering, loosening, weeding and feeding. Harvesting begins in three months.
Immediately after planting, the seeds require watering. Then the soil is moistened incrementally. The most intense watering is in July. Since August, planting watered less and less.Important! Each square meter of beds requires up to 10 liters of water.
Watering is done in the evening with warm water. On average, water the shoots need every 10 days, taking into account the precipitation.
As the carrots grow, we weed it. Not only weeds are removed from the soil, but also too thick shoots. Loosening the soil will be performed between the rows to a depth of 5 cm.
After the appearance of the first leaves, carrots can be fed with nitrogen fertilizer. Up to 15 g of urea is required per square meter of planting. Plants are good for phosphate and potash fertilizers.
Let's sum up
The timing of planting carrots are determined based on weather conditions. If it is too late to conduct early sowing, then this year it is allowed to perform work in late spring. Summer planting significantly relieves the intense spring harvest. Sowing in the winter will allow you to get an early harvest for the next year. The yield of carrots largely depends on the soil and the place chosen for planting.